SQL Server Reporting Services SDK for PHP
This SDK enables PHP applications to simply utilize SQL Server Reporting Services, Microsoft’s Reporting and Business Intelligence solution.
These scenarios can be done using the free SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services edition. This edition includes the SQL Server 2008 Express database engine as well as graphical administration tools and the Reporting Services server components for creating, managing, and deploying tabular, matrix, graphical, and free-form reports(SQL Server 2008 Express Advanced can be downloaded here).
SQL Server Reporting Services SDK for PHP in a nutshell
The SDK offers a simple Application Programming Interface (API) to interoperate with SQL Server Reporting Services. The API provides simple methods to perform the most common operations:
- list available reports within a PHP applications,
- provide custom parameters from a PHP web form,
- manage the rendering of the reports within a PHP application.
The API is built on top of the SQL Server Reporting Services Web Service API using SOAP as the underlying communication mechanism. PHP applications can then manage reports, parameters, credentials, and output formats with SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services.
The design of the report is created with Business Intelligence Development Studio which comes with SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services. Developers can alter the style of the output formats to fit their needs.
From Reporting Services in SQL Server Express Edition,your access to remote data sources (SQL Server, OLEDB, ODBC, MySQL, Oracle and others) goes through a SQL Server Express instance installed on the same server, using either:
- a linked server feature to allow your application to connect to a data source by creating views pointing to the original database.
- importing of data so you can extract data from the original datasource and import it into the SQL Server Express instance.
View more details and sample application on: http://blogs.msdn.com